Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Sauna Part 94

Tuesday morning dawned bright and clear with no further trace of the gray skies and drizzle that had so characterized yesterday. I woke to find myself nestled protectively in Jon’s arms and had to force myself to pull away and get up. I slipped out of bed without waking him and padded into the kitchen to start the coffee, still half asleep. I tripped over Jon’s sneakers and swore, but managed to get the coffee going without further incident.

I took a leisurely shower, relishing the feel of the hot water beating me awake. I slipped my robe back on as the morning air was chilly now and went to the kitchen to pour my first cup. I took a long sip as I stood at the window, looking out at the day. It seemed almost strange to be all alone and hear nothing but the early morning sounds of the birds chirping softly. It was nice to have some time to myself.

I dried my hair and put on my make-up and went back to the bedroom, careful not to wake Jon who was still sleeping peacefully. Even the cats weren’t up yet and I smiled as I looked at Eddie curled up alongside Jon’s shoulder. I went to the closet and paused, trying to decide what to wear. I chose a long green skirt and a short jacket, with a black vest underneath. It felt like it would be a warm day.

“Hey, babe, come over here” Jon called lazily from the bed and I turned to see him sitting up smiling at me.

“Morning, love, I didn’t mean to wake you” I said as I came over to kiss him good morning.

“S’okay” he purred as he kissed me back, a wandering hand sliding my skirt up over my hip.

“Mmhhmm, no panties? That’s my girl” he said approvingly as he tried to grab hold of me and drag me into bed.

“And no time” I laughed as I pulled away, glancing at the clock.

“What time is it? Do you have to leave already?” he asked, his voice still thick with sleep.

“It’s late. My furry alarm never went off this morning” I said, pointing at Eddie who was still curled up at Jon’s shoulder as he made another pass at grabbing me.

“Okay, you win. When will you be home?” Jon chuckled resignedly after one last unsuccessful attempt to pull me back into bed.

“I’ll be back around six or so. Could you feed the cats? I forgot” I said as I pulled on my jacket and walked towards the doorway.

“No problem. I should be back from the airport around four. Do you want me to pick anything up for dinner, babe?” he asked as he snuggled back under the covers.

“Surprise me” I said and left it at that.

The day went by quickly as I found myself very busy now that I knew I was leaving. I shared the news with most of my co-workers, most of whom were not nearly as surprised to hear I was leaving as they had been to hear I was staying. The reservations I had had about the decision and the momentary guilt I had felt when I admitted my desire to quit began to dissipate as everyone seemed to accept it without hesitation. Everyone, that was, except Sandy.

“But how can you just give up something that has been so much a part of you? What will we do without you? What will I do without you?” she said, slightly tearful.

“Sandy, you’ll be fine. You’ve been doing this longer than I have, you don’t need me” I said reassuringly, but she was having none of it.

“No one knows trauma like you do. And where are they ever going to find someone to replace you? There aren’t many clinicians who are also math whizzes. Who’ll take over doing all the statistics and the clinical supervision?” she challenged.

“I think they may just change the position and hire someone to run the data and someone else to do the supervision” I explained.

“But won’t you miss this? You’ve virtually lived at work since you started here, what will you do with all that free time? I can’t see you sitting around all day playing house or being a celebrity ornament, not you” she persisted.

I had to agree with her on that. But my plan was not to retire and become a housewife or a party girl. I was hoping that with more free time and Jon’s resources and connections, as well as his support behind me that I would be able to continue working with the trauma victims I loved, just in a different way. I hoped to have a broader impact on services for trauma victims in general and still be able to provide training and consultation where it was needed. As I explained my hopes, Sandy finally nodded and seemed to accept that I would not suddenly disappear off the map.

I was glad I didn’t have clients today as I dreaded telling them I was leaving far more than I did telling the staff. There were two in particular who I expected weren’t going to take it well and I needed to develop a plan before I approached the subject. I called home just after lunch to say goodbye to Richie before he left for the airport and Jon answered the phone.

“Hi babe, what’s up?” he said.

“It’s been a tough day and it was harder than I thought to tell folks I’m leaving, but all in all, it’s been okay. I just wanted to say goodbye to Richie before you two left for the airport” I explained.

“Hang on, he’s right here” Jon said, handing the phone to Richie.

“Hey Trish, how ya doin’?” his voice boomed over the phone.

“Hey Richie, I just wanted to say goodbye and to tell you how much I’ll miss you. It was really great having you here. Jon’s gonna be a lonely boy when you leave!” I told him.

“Nah, he’s lookin’ forward to having you all to himself, the lucky bastard” Richie teased.

“He’ll enjoy it for a couple days and then he’ll be bored silly and missing you too. Seriously, Richie, don’t be a stranger, okay? You’re family now and you’re always welcome” I said.

“Thanks, doll. I appreciate it and it was great to be here. I really needed you guys, you know? I was pretty messed up after that crap with Denise and I felt like such an ass getting arrested on top of it, but I’ve got my head on straight now. Why don’t you guys come visit me in California when you get some time? I’d love to show you around” Richie offered.

“We’ll come out some time soon. That’s a promise Richie. I’ve never been there and I’d really like to see California, especially San Francisco and Colorado is my dream vacation and it‘s not that far from there.”

“It’s a date then. I’ll make sure Jon brings you out for a visit, maybe Ava’s birthday? It’s coming up” Richie replied, sounding really pleased.

“Tell Jon when and we’ll be there. I’d better get back to work, but you keep in touch, you hear?” I said finally.

“You know it, girl. Thanks for everything and take care of my boy, okay?”

“Bye, Richie” I said as Jon came back on the line.

“So, you’re making plans with Richie. Has he won you away so easily?” Jon teased.

“Not at all, love, but I will miss him too, you know. He’s a real sweetheart and I love the way he teases you…” I answered.

“Yeah, uh-huh, but no one teases me quite like you, babe” Jon said, his voice dropping a few notes lower and I squirmed at my desk. Wasn’t it five o’clock yet I wondered, anxious to get home now.

“Why don’t you pick up a can of whipped cream on the way home, love? I have an idea for dessert” I said lasciviously.

“Consider it done, baby” Jon growled and I hung up, still smiling.

I fought to focus my attention back on the charts sitting stacked on top of my desk, but my mind wasn’t cooperating. It was only this morning that I remembered thinking that a month didn’t seem like nearly enough time to wrap things up at work. Now three hours felt like forever. Just the sound of Jon’s voice could completely destroy me in a matter of a few seconds. I forced myself to stop daydreaming as I picked up the first chart, resigning myself to the task at hand.

No comments: